As the saying goes, it is important that we start the year off right. I have just finished reading this book 'Show me the Money' by Teh Hooi Ling. Most of us would have known her for her writings on investment in the Sunday Times or Business Times.
Her writing style for this book is using lots of data and facts for comparisons which I find very useful as it is easier to understand and to get the message across. The chapters have been written progressively for the readers:
- starting with basic concepts
- then looking at the different types of valuation matrix one can use as fundamental analysis,
- follow by, how once can form his/her asset allocation,
- small section on comparing returns from property against equity,
- psychology of investing and REITS.
The chapters I liked most are chapter 2 and 3. In chapter 2, using lots of data and comparison, it shows the reader why one can use this successful and proven method as part of his/her investment strategy. Chapter 3 is about market timing, the main message I guess is one should time the market based on valuation and not NEWS.
In conclusion, I would recommend this book to someone who is starting his/her investment journey and even to those who has been investing for many years. It should help the novice to build his fundamental knowledge and the experienced ones to fine-tune their strategy.